Hall of Columns

On the first floor of the House wing is a magnificent corridor known as the "Hall of Columns." As the name suggests, it was built with 14 pairs of columns made of marble from western Massachusetts. The column shafts were fluted and the capitals were carved with tobacco leaves, thistle and acanthus. Deeply paneled beams span the corridor above each pair of columns. Originally to be made of marble like the columns themselves, it was later decided to make the ceiling out of cast iron to save both time and money. Built in 1855, the Hall of Columns was designed by Thomas U. Walter, the architect of the Capitol extension.