First Run of the Senate Subway
On March 9, 1909, the Senate's own transportation system began operation. A tunnel had been built to connect the new Senate Office Building (now known as the Russell Senate Office Building) with the Capitol.
To give senators a quick and comfortable ride, two yellow electric cars ran back and forth between the two buildings. Made by Studebaker, the cars carried eight passengers, but proved too slow.
In 1912 they were replaced with a electric monorail, which, in turn was replaced by dual tracks in 1960.