The National Statuary Hall Collection
The National Statuary Hall Collection consists of one hundred statues displayed in various locations in the Capitol. Each state in the nation has contributed two statues, in bronze or marble, of deceased people important in its history. The statues depict a wide and diverse range of individuals, including military and government leaders, jurists, teachers, scientists, doctors, inventors, missionaries, and explorers.
The collection was authorized in 1864 to make use of the former Hall of the House of Representatives, which the House had vacated for its new chamber in the House extension. All donated statues were displayed in this space, now named National Statuary Hall, until 1933, when many were relocated to the Rotunda, the Crypt, and other locations to eliminate crowding. In 2008, 24 statues were moved to the new Capitol Visitor Center.